St. Joseph’s Hospital has been named on the prestigious IBM Watson Health 100 Top Hospitals list (formerly known as the Truven Health Analytics). It was one of only two large community hospitals in the state to receive this recognition. In addition, St. Joseph’s Hospital was one of 12 hospitals in the United States to earn the Everest Award, which honors hospitals that have achieved both the highest current performance and the fastest long-term improvement over five years.
In order to be considered for these recognitions, the annual 100 Top Hospitals starts with a study of more than 2,700 hospitals and incorporates independent public data, risk-adjusted and peer-reviewed methodologies, and key performance metrics. Hospitals do not apply for consideration, and winners do not pay to market this honor. The results go into a scorecard that evaluates hospitals on patient care and satisfaction, operational efficiency and financial stability, and compares them to hospitals of similar size and type. According to IBM Watson, if all hospitals in the United States achieved the benchmarks set by St. Joseph’s Hospital and other 2018 Top 100 winners:
- More than 102, 000 additional lives could be saved in-hospital
- More than 43,000 additional patients could be free of complications
- Over $4.4 billion in inpatient costs could be saved
- Over 200,000 fewer discharged patients would be readmitted within 30 days
- Patients could spend 17 minutes less in hospital emergency rooms per visit